Social Media Diary

So, totally unsuccessful!

I first posted my question blog post as a status update on Facebook about a week ago and so far no one has answered it.  I think this is because things that go out to a general facebook audience are easily lost in the weeds — i.e. if they are not directed toward certain people no one will care to look at them.

Since that didn’t work, I directed my attention toward Twitter and tweeted my question at a few local blogs in hopes they’d retweet to their followers. Surprisingly, @BrooklynBased tweeted my question to their nearly 12,000 followers! And, also surprisingly, not one person answered my question blog post after that tweet!

Here’s a link to my question to BrooklynBased and their RT:

http://twitter.com/#!/PeterMoskowitz/status/119206766989938689

Because no one answered my question, I’ve decided my survey should probably be about the same topic.  This week on Facebook I directed my inquiries toward local businesses by posting

“Hey Fort Greene Businesses! Please help a CUNY Journalism student out by answering the following question in the comments: What do you do to keep customers from shopping online instead of at your store?”

on the pages of blogs and local business associations like MARP and the FAB Alliance.

I think part of the problem is that no one knows who I am, so they have no reason to answer my questions.  I don’t really know where to go from here because it seems like people have no incentive to give me their time and answers.