Survey Says: Success!

By: Michelle Gross

Following the response from my previous post, or lack of response thereof, I was pleasantly surprised by the reaction I got from my survey. I feel people were open to answering the questions I posed in this format because of its fun and engaging demeanor. I also got some very positive feedback which I am now congregating to formulate for my next story pitch. I wanted to keep the questions as open as possible. I was very interested to see what preexisting information people actually know about the Brooklyn Navy Yard and likewise what they are curious to know about. I was not surprised to find out that many people don’t know a lot of about the Navy Yard, however I was surprised to learn that people seemed genuinely interested to learn more. I was also surprised to see the comments in reaction to this question:

“How do you think the Brooklyn Navy Yard can better integrate themselves into the local community?”

People had some fascinating ideas, and I will definitely be delving deeper into when I begin pooling the information together for my story.

I was also more strategic in how I advertised this survey. I realized following my last post, that putting a link onto your Facebook wall or even a random tweet isn’t enough. While I did received a couple comments in those forums, it wasn’t enough. So I went straight to the source. Directly from the survey document I linked to all of my social media platforms including: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and even yahoo (which I now have an account for). After that, I emailed people directly from my gmail. This was the money-maker. I was able directly send the survey to over 50 friends, family and even a couple colleagues who work in the Navy Yard. I noticed that the response I received was more immediate. Friends were also a little confused as to why I was surveying the, (this was a first for me) but understood when I explained its purpose.

You can view my Brooklyn Navy Yard survey here or see below.

Brooklyn Navy Yard Survey

This survey is to gauge what the general population knows about the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Where it is, what it does, and how it functions. Your comments are greatly appreciated!

Not Interested Whatsoever Extremely interested

•