New opportunities for libraries

In my survey, I tried to find out whether people still need libraries. Furthermore, I wanted to analyze what options or programs libraries could introduce to ensure their surviving while being pressured by new media and the struggling economy. As a result, there seem to be new ways for libraries, if they decide to use new media to their advantage.

The survey was filled in 22 times. Firstly, the majority of the people taking part in the survey still go to libraries quite regularly, about once a month. That is usually the general period in which a book can be borrowed.

The main reason for them to go to a library is to borrow a book. However, to use the library as a quiet place to study also seems to be an important reason to go there. Participants who chose “Other” specified that they went there for two of the given reasons, to borrow a book and to use services.

The next section of the survey concentrated on how a library could generate additional revenues, and for which of these possible options survey takers would be. As a very clear result, participants are not likely to pay for traditional services of library that have been free so far. They would less likely pay an entry fee to a library or a fee for borrowing a book. However, 77% said they would agree or strongly agree to pay higher fines, if they bring back a book after deadline.

Although they would not like to pay for traditional services, survey takers would pay for additional services, which at first would require extra expenses for the library.

As the survey has shown, there seem to be opportunities for libraries to provide new media services. Participants would like to have an app that helps them with picking a book or reminds them when they are about to miss the deadline to bring back a book.

In the survey, I also asked open questions whether the participants think that there will be libraries 10 years from now and if they still need a library in their life. Below are some of the answers.

Do you think there still will be libraries 10 years from now?

“Yes, I think so. It will be used for tradititonal books, for old magazines, for old movies, it will remain a place of research and a kind of think tank.”
“Yes of course, but maybe they turn into some weird places with a small number of fans, because books become less important.”

“I think there are certainly gonna be libraries 10 years from now. Maybe a great part of the archive will be digitalized, but students will still go there to find sources that they can’t find alone on the internet, and to have a quiet place to study.”

Considering today, do you think you still need a library in your life? 

“I will only need them till I get my exams. Books are something to buy, not to borrow – if they aren’t to expensive!”

“Yes. Because there is a place, where I can search for books in unhurriedly and don’t have to go in a book-store. Also I don’t like buying books, so its important for me to have the possibility to rent them.”

“Yes, i do. I need the library to study, to find new books, to use the internet, to use the offering of there interenet librarys and so on…It’s also a space at the university to meet people and to learn together.”

“No, I can get most things I need from the internet. If not then the library is mostly of no use either (e.g. specific specifications).”

The majority of survey takers were students, which implies that they need libraries for their studies. The majority of participants is between 22 and 30 years old. Most of them have a bachelor’s degree.